Friday, June 17, 2005

Book Buying Binge

You will soon discover that I am a shopaholic, though I am trying very, very hard to mend my ways. I am letting loose on one thing though--for the longest time I never bought books. I read so quickly that I tend to consider it a waste of money. (Yet I'll drop nearly five bucks for a few minutes of caramel macchiato-induced bliss.) But lately I've decided that classics or books by my favorite authors are worth it.

I also had the delusion that I would buy only hardcover books for Leila (who is currently a year old and obviously has no appreciation of the library I'm building for her) so that they would last and be beautiful...but I decided to follow my mom's example and just have as many books around as possible, and hope for the best. Some books, The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Sherlock Holmes, I plan on buying in hardcover, but I bought several paperbacks the other day, and here they are:

Lois Lowry: The Giver
Agatha Christie: After the Funeral
(think I have read this one before under another title, as I've read most of her books, but can't remember who killed them, so it's fine!)
Louise Fitzhugh: Harriet the Spy
Katherine Paterson: Bridge to Terabithia
Jane Yolen: The Devil's Arithmetic (
previous three are classics from my childhood, all affected me deeply)
M.T. Anderson: feed
John Connolly: Bad Men
(terrifying)
Harlan Coben: Backspin (although his novels are all remarkably similar, they're hilarious and touching)

Let's just not mention the five glossy magazines I read while at B&N yesterday. Pure trash, but I loved every moment of it.

No comments: