Friday, January 13, 2006

10:35 AM

And not a darn thing happening, ya'all. (My Southernness is just abounding lately) Leila rolled out of her crib on the sunshine-y side at freaking 7:30 this morning. She passed out on the futon at approximately 9:35 am and woke up a few minutes ago as I was trying to adjust our heating vents and got all kindsa grit in my poor little eyes. As if my body hasn't suffered enough.
She went upstairs but she is being very, very quiet. It's possible she may have fallen asleep in her Dadda's lap.
Have I spoken about my crazy family yet? I can't remember. I don't think so, so here you go!
We live in a two-story McMansion with a furnished basement. (We live in the basement part. It would be nice if we decorated it and kept it clean, but we totally don't, since we have the combined maturity of a college freshman.) It's a roomy house--there are five bedrooms on the second floor and two bedrooms down here. However, there's the three of us--Me, husband, Leila, then there's my father and mother in law (Dadda and Daddi in Bengali) and my sister in law, Fufi (in Bengali) and this other girl who lives here and doesn't seem to be going away any time soon and really bothers me for a lot of reasons. Maybe because my mother in law likes her better than me. As does my sister in law. That's a little disconcerting. (Since I am obviously the most likable person in the metro DC area besides Amalah.)
Anyway. We mostly lead separate lives. I cook our own food and such, and my sister in law and her friend are rarely here. But still, they are all devout Muslims so there are a lot of things we don't do, like listening to music loudly or watching TV (Hubby watches a lot of movies on his computer though.)
There are benefits. There's usually someone around to help me on the days when I'm alone with Leila from 7 in the morning to 7 at night, and that's good. Any problems with the house, I can just ask my father in law (Abba to me) to deal with it. Culturally, our arrangement is acceptable and even desirable, but occasionally (okay, a lot) it's stifling. But what'm I gonna do? His father is nearing eighty and his mom doesn't drive. It's a nice house in a good neighborhood. Plus it provides a LOT of blog fodder and since they're all so devout, they'd never just be tooling around on the 'net and find this.
I hope.

1 comment:

Mrs. G.F. said...

I had that bug, it was horrible!

And the family, sounds like it has it's ups and downs, just like everything. I think it must be good for your daughter to really get an opportunity to know her grandparents.